Wiyi Yani U Thangani puts forward an ambitious First Nations women and girl-led agenda to shift the course toward achieving First Nations gender justice and equality. This agenda elevates First Nations women’s voices, knowing that they hold the solutions to drive transformative change.
To support Wiyi Yani U Thangani and come on the journey of achieving First Nations gender justice and equality in Australia, there are many things you can do:
1. Download, read and share the Wiyi Yani U Thangani (Women’s Voices): Securing our Rights, Securing our Future 2020 Report and Community Guide and support the major recommendations for a First Nations Women and Girls National Action Plan, a National Summit and a First Nations women and girls Advisory Body.
2. Our Supporter Toolkit outlines three easy steps that you or your organisation can take to show public support and commitment to the Wiyi Yani U Thangani. You can also use this framework to write a letter to your local MP—download the guide here: When writing a letter to your MP.pdf
3. Spread the word about our animation Yajilarra nhingi, mindija warrma (from dreams, let’s make it reality)—share social media posts and ask friends, family and colleagues to watch it.
4. Host a screening of Yajilarra nhingi, mindija warrma (from dreams, let’s make it reality) followed by a discussion about what First Nations gender justice and equality means and what you can do to make it real.
5. Take action across a range of areas from enhancing First Nations women’s leadership, embedding healing-informed practices, and creating more flexible culturally responsive workplaces and environments, and much more. See ‘What First Nations women and girls are calling for’ below.
What First Nations women and girls are calling for:
An Implementation Framework and discussion guide will soon be released to support you as you take action for First Nations gender justice and equality.
If you are interested to know more about how you can support Wiyi Yani U Thangani, please contact us.